Three Months To A Universal Fiduciary, Two Years To An RIA SRO?
- Created: Tuesday, 20 September 2011 07:47
Kevin Carroll, who runs the Securities Industry & Financial Markets Association (SIFMA), says a universal fiduciary rule for all investment advisors could happen by the end of the year.
However, he sees too many distractions on Congress for lawmakers to take on the question of who will regulate RIA firms before 2013 or so.
He's optimistic about RIAs moving toward a self-regulatory organization (SRO) like FINRA, but then, most of his group's members are already FINRA-regulated anyway.
One surprise: Matthew O'Toole, who helps run the SEC's advisor exams in the San Francisco office, acknowledges that FINRA could end up monitoring advisors as well.
This Website Is For Financial Professionals Only
- NAPFA Must Do The Right Thing With CPA/PFSs If It Wants To Retain Its Special Role As An Advocate For Consumers
- CFA Level 1 Exam Prep Now Being Offered By The American College, Reflecting The Growing Popularity Of The CFA Designation
- Charles J. Yang, CFA, Elected Chair Of CFA Institute Board Of Governors
- NAPFA, In Saying Only CFPs Can Become Members, Snubbed The AICPA, Exposing Fractures In The Movement To Professionalize