Industry Group Fighting California's Efforts To Generated Added Paperwork For All Independent Contractors
- Created: Wednesday, 22 June 2011 06:12
The FSI had earlier called on California-based members to write their state legislators against SB 459, which would force broker-dealers to issue and archive extra paperwork that confirms that yes, independent advisors are independent contractors.
In a longer letter of comment, the FSI points out that it's pretty obvious that IBD affiliates are independent and that existing disclosure should do the trick.
Forcing advisors and firms to maintain extra documentation to that effect is "wasteful and unnecessary," the group argues.
While it might not cost California or advisors much -- maybe $250,000 a year total for the state -- it seems to be the principle of the thing.
Interesting detail: a full 1/7 of all FSI independent members live in California.
This Website Is For Financial Professionals Only
- NAPFA Must Do The Right Thing With CPA/PFSs If It Wants To Retain Its Special Role As An Advocate For Consumers
- CFA Level 1 Exam Prep Now Being Offered By The American College, Reflecting The Growing Popularity Of The CFA Designation
- Charles J. Yang, CFA, Elected Chair Of CFA Institute Board Of Governors
- NAPFA, In Saying Only CFPs Can Become Members, Snubbed The AICPA, Exposing Fractures In The Movement To Professionalize