Ambitiously, many advisors start a webinar series and then quickly lose interest after only a couple of sessions. What’s up with that?
First, advisors often are unrealistic about the number of attendees to expect. In addition, it’s best not to think of the webinar as a one-time event. Moreover, it’s best not to think of a webinar as a one-time event with a replay. Five tips:
This Website Is For Financial Professionals Only
- A Live Webinar Is Not The Goal. Don’t spend too much time dwelling on how to get a huge audience to the live session. People want information when they need it, not when you happen to schedule a webinar about choosing the right life insurance or rebalancing a portfolio.
- Replays Are More Important Than Live Sessions. An advisor from California sent me a postcard recently saying that she got something like 19 hours of CFP CE credit on A4A replays. She was on vacation when she discovered that she needed to amass a bunch of CFP CE credit fast. While on the road, in airports and hotel lobbies, she watched replays of A4A webinars. Point is, people need information delivered on demand, when they want it. Remember that when you’re making your webinars and don't be discouraged by poor attendance to live sessions.
- Two-Minute Bits Are More Important Than Replays. Replays are great but take too long. Edit your webinars into two-minute segments. Then, embed the two-minute segments in your website and blog, and post status updates about and embed them in your social profile on LinkedIn and Facebook.
- Embedding Partners. Who will embed your content? Your two-minute video about asset allocation or weekly summary about financial markets may be just what the local newspaper was looking for. Give them free original content and they may want to embed it regularly on their website. That's the kind of linking that raises your ranking in search engines.
- Target It. Don’t just do a webinar about 401(k)s, make your webinar focus on two or three locally companies 401(k)’s. By focusing on the local companies and tailoring your comments and their plan participants, you may be more likely to provide value.
If hardly anyone shows up at your live webinar, don’t be discouraged. Repurposing webinar content for replays and two-minute segments what will make a webinar series successful for advisors. And targeting it to your local niches is another angle to consider.