Charles J. Yang, CFA, has been elected the new chair of the Board of Governors of CFA Institute, the global association of investment professionals. Effective Sept. 1, Yang succeeds Alan M. Meder, CFA, who will continue to serve on the Board as immediate past chair. A new board lineup was elected by the membership at the CFA Institute 66th Annual Conference in May.
CFA Institute represents a competitor to the CFP mark and is growing fast. CFA Institute says it has more than 117,000 members in 137 countries and territories, including 109,000 CFA charterholders, about half of whom as in the U.S. CFA Institute brands itseld as "a champion for ethical behavior in investment markets and a respected source of knowledge in the global financial community." CFAI says its goal is "to create an environment where investors’ interests come first, markets function at their best, and economies grow."
This Website Is For Financial Professionals Only
Yang is the chief investment officer of T&D Asset Management, a wholly owned asset management subsidiary of T&D Holdings Inc., the holding company of the fifth-largest life insurance group in Japan. He began his career as a quantitative analyst at the asset management division of J.P. Morgan and served as a portfolio manager in New York City and Tokyo. Yang is a member of two CFA societies, CFA Society Hawaii and CFA Society Japan.
The 18-member board of governors represents 11 countries: Australia, Canada, China, India, Japan, Singapore, Switzerland, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, and United States. Each governor is elected by the CFA Institute membership for a three-year term that runs from Sept. 1 to Aug. 31.
- Charles J. Yang, CFA (Japan) - chief investment officer, T&D Asset Management Company, Ltd.
- Aaron Low, CFA (Singapore) – principal, Lumen Advisors
- Alan M. Meder, CFA (United States) - senior vice president and chief risk officer, Duff & Phelps Investment Management Co.
- Saeed M. Al-Hajeri, CFA (United Arab Emirates) - head of Emerging Markets Department, Abu Dhabi Investment Authority
- Giuseppe Ballocchi, CFA (Switzerland) - head of Financial Engineering and Risk Analytics of the Trading Division, Pictet & Cie
- Heather Brilliant*, CFA (United States) - global director of Equity and Credit Research and chief equities strategist, Morningstar, Inc.
- Beth Hamilton-Keen, CFA (Canada) - director of Private Client Portfolio Management, Mawer Investment Management Ltd.
- Robert Jenkins*, FSIP (United Kingdom) – a senior adviser to CVC Capital Partners; a nonexecutive director for the Aberdeen All Asia Investment Trust; and adjunct professor at London Business School
- James G. Jones, CFA (United States) - founder and president of Sterling Investment Advisors, LLC
- Attila Koksal, CFA (Turkey) - managing partner, Standard Unlu Securities
- Mark Lazberger, CFA (Australia) – CEO, Colonial First State Global Asset Management (CFSGAM) and First State Investments
- Frederic P. Lebel, CFA (Switzerland) - co-CEO and CIO of OFI MGA; CIO and owner of HFS Hedge Fund Selection S.A.
- Colin McLean, FSIP (United Kingdom) – CEO, SVM Asset Management Ltd
- John D. Rogers, CFA (United States) – president and CEO, CFA Institute
- Matthew H. Scanlan, CFA (United States) - CEO of RS Investments; president and trustee of the RS Investment Trust and RS Variable Products Trust
- Jane Shao, CFA (China) - founder and director, Lumiere Pavilions
- Sunil Singhania*, CFA (India) - chief investment officer, Equity Investments, Reliance Capital Asset Management Ltd
- Roger Urwin (United Kingdom) - global head of Investment Content, Towers Watson